Friday, June 19, 2009

Journal #3: Too cool for school? No way!

"Too cool for school? No way!" by Mishra, P., & Koehler, M.

This article was about technology and how to include technology in the classroom. The article defines technology then gives 3 examples of how technology can be used in a classroom. The first example was that of microblogging with a class. By using twitter to accentuate the core course content the professor hoped to help the students learn. The article made clear though that this cannot happen in a vacuum but must be an addition to core teaching principles. The next example was using specialized search engines to aide learning. Search engines that used pictures would help the students make associations easier. The final example was “DJ Software” which helps students learn mathematical concepts like ratios, fractions, and percentages. This article made clear that a teacher these days needs to be willing to work with technology that may or may not help in the classroom.

Would I use any of the tools described in the article?

I really don’t think I would use any of the examples shown in the article other than maybe the specialized search engines. While I think they are only useful in limited situations I think there are some times when being able to use a picture based search engine would be useful in a classroom especially with younger kids where pictures hold more meaning.

Why would I be unlikely to use the other technologies?

Twitter was one of the other examples of a technology in the article and I think it would only be useful on a college campus where you can assume all of your students have extended access to technology. On a high school campus though many students only have limited or no access to technology thus twitter becomes useless. “DJ software” on the other hand, does not apply to my focus, English, and would therefore be useless to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Look its me Posting this self intro

Hey Look its me Posting this self intro